STEPS TO CAREER SUCCESS
1) Learn more about yourself via Career Assessments:
- Comprehensive assessment which includes interests, values and skills – My Next Move; Use your RIASEC code to discover careers on O*Net
- Personality –16 Personalities and/or Humanmetrics.com
- Values – Life Values Inventory
- Major Clarity
2) Learn more about career options that match your interests through watching career videos, taking related classes, participating in PVCC clubs and after school activities, talking with professionals/networking, finding a mentor and/or job shadowing experiences. Here are some good career/labor market resources:
- America’s Career Infonet
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Virginia Market Demand
- ETC Two Year College Starting Salary Program
- How To Become Any Career
- Learn How To Become: Find Your Dream Career
- O*Net Online
- Virginia Education Wizard
- What Can I Do With This Major?Career Videos
- CareerOneStop (Explore videos organized into 16 career clusters or related types of work.)
- Dr. Kit (Employees in different professions answer questions in an informational interview format.)
- My Next Move (View videos by future job opportunities, the green economy, and apprenticeship programs.)
3) Create your introduction/professional documents (resume, cover/thank you letters, LinkedIn, etc.) to help you land interviews/jobs.
- Resume Writing Advice and Cover Letter Advice
- CHS Sample Resumes and Cover Letters will soon be posted. Please check back!
- Introduction/30-second Commercial and Interview Preparation
- Networking Advice and LinkedIn Tips
4) Get experience through volunteering, interning or even temporary employment. These are easier ways to gain access to employers which often lead to long term employment.
- Volunteering – search by area of interest on United Way
- Interning – check back.
- Temporary employment
- Job Searching
5) Decide whether your career target is a good fit. If not, consider repeating these steps since finding a great career path is often a process.